February 12, 2006

Wikipedia Adventures

I've been trying my hand at contributing to Wikipedia recently. Submitting articles on Jononation, JGPLTF and my old band The Progressive Thinker, I've come across the hotly debated issue of notability.

If you want to see exactly what I'm talking about, You Say Party! We Say Die!'s article has been subject to a group of users vying to either keep or delete the article based on the whether or not they are technically 'notable' as a band.

This all seems quite absurd, firstly, based on the fact that notability isn't even official Wikipedia policy. Secondly, my conception is that an encyclopedia, especially one as exhaustive and open as Wikipedia, should be home to obscure and trivial topics. The policy also seems quite Americentric; that is, if it's no big deal to Americans, than it's no big deal to anyone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

fun 100 was deleted days ago. read about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Fun_100