October 17, 2006

Strombo interviews Church of Satan



I've started watching ex-Much Music host and fellow Humber College graduate George Stroumboulopoulos' show The Hour, and noticed on the website that he did an interview with the current Black Pope and High Priest of the Church of Satan Peter Gilmore last June (06/06/06 to be precise). I don't think I've seen any cover the Church of Satan for as long as I can remember, let alone in an open and informative way. Watch it here.

I also noticed he has an hour long show every day of the week. That's a lot of time to fill, and pretty much the most air time you can get these days.

Today he had Lewis Black on the show who is one of my favourite comedians. George mentioned his time slot competing with The Daily Show on which Black does his occaisional Back in Black Segment, and I was reminded of Canada's fascination with fake news.

Aside from being avid fans of The Daily Show, which is basically my sole source for U.S. news, Canadians also have plenty of other fake news shows to choose from. There's the classic This Hour Has 22 Minutes, and then ex 22 Minutes host Rick Mercer's Mercer Report, and now Royal Canadian Air Farce is focusing more on fake news. Maybe it's just the CBC that has an obsession with fake news, since the rest of its programming is mostly just regular news.

I don't know if I would consider The Hour a 'fake news' show, but it comes close to The Daily Show's style with George's quips and comments about the news of the day.

Oh yeah, the other day he also had Boing Boing's Xeni Jardin on the show to talk about GooTube. The show is also on at 11pm which is a pretty good time slot for my viewing habits anyway(I think it used to be on at 8pm).

No comments: